Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TO BE SUCCESSFUL - YOU MUST BE ON AT ALL TIMES

Photobucket
Terrance Gant


Don't get excited.  Please.  It won't happen again.  Two blogs in the same month?  Not to mention in the same day?  It will go down in history!  There has been a lot of issues that have been popping up lately and instead of just writing one long continous blog, it was far easier to break them down into separate blogs.

One question I am asked constantly:  "When will we shoot again?" 

There are two types of photographers out there. There is one that actually likes to build a “stable” of models in which they like to shoot from. They develop connections with models and because of it, photographers are able to express themselves artistically with a particular model, whereas with other models they cannot. They are very monogamous. Then you have the second type of photographer. They rarely like to reshoot models. Usually if they’ve gotten that awe inspiring image, they really don’t go back and revisit. The will usually move onto the next model and produce more magic. I tend to fall in the latter group. I cannot speak for other photographers, but the reason I do it is because I am constantly building my book and it is an ongoing process. Every shoot that is worthy, I present to my agent. I don’t need him saying to me; “you shot this model already, why are you shooting them again?” Unfortunately I cannot have an entire book of 2-3 models.

There are instances where I will revisit a model. I have a few projects pending that may require their look (for either my coffee table series, or exhibit series). There have been times where I’ve been hired for a particular job and the client liked the work I did with the model and wished to use them, but other than that, I am sorry to say I am a photographic whore and once the model and I have achieved what I like to call “hotness”. I move on to create more hotness (with another model, of course).

But there is another side to this coin, and that is the side of the model. I find that once a model has found the photographer that was able to actually capture them, they tend to want to work with that photographer repeatedly. This has its plus and minuses. A model develops a level of comfort with a particular photographer and they produce stellar images. Time and time again, and the more they work with a photographer, sometimes the better the images get. The downside? They will only work well with a particular photographer, hence the reason for this blog.

One of the ultimate goals of a model is to get signed with a professional modeling agency, and once they are signed, they want to start making money with this agency. If you are not one of the few fortunate ones who can walk into the door and wow the agency strictly on your looks, you have to build some type of portfolio. They (the agent) want to see how you photograph, how you look in images and are you a marketable product. So you stroll up there with your book of great photos (albeit coming from just one or two photographers) and they like the magic that they see. Guess what they’re going to do? They are going to send you on a slew of tests to fill up your book with images of other photographers. Herein lies the issue.

A lot of models (especially new faces) are very very comfortable with me. I take the time and patience that is needed for them to grow and develop as a model (not all photographers will do this, or have the patience to want to do it). Most often a single modeling session with me can be as long as 6-7 hours (especially if Boot Camp is involved), because I am teaching the understanding of light as it pertains to the model. I am teaching expression. I am teaching emotion. I am teaching head to toe posing. I do it not for the money, but for the love of the science, and for the growth of the model and my desire for them to succeed into greatness. In the end I want the model to leave my studio with a sense of purpose and a bit of know-how that I want them to take with them on their next photo session. If you ask any model I have shot, I am known to say “from this point onward, whenever ANYONE points a camera at you, TURN IT ON. I don’t care WHO it is. I don’t care WHERE YOU ARE. YOU ARE A MODEL AT ALL TIMES.”

Remember that:  You are a model at all times.  Therefoer, you must be on at all times (especially at a photoshoot). You will not have the luxury of Dallas Logan at all your future shoots.  Do not rest on your laurels because you had one or two photoshoots with the same photographer and got good results. Whatever feelings, emotions, energy that was needed to create those magical images with that one particular photographer, remember that energy and take it to every single shoot you go to.

I’ve seen countless books from models and you can go through the images and know when and where the magical connections were made. I would look at model’s books after they have shot with me and INSTANTLY be able to tell if they used our Boot Camp lessons. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t. Trust and believe, if you don’t raise the bar at every single photoshoot, you will come across boring and one dimensional. And guess what happens next?

You are no longer signed. Think about it.

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent... too often the model thinks that they can give the same pose and same look. Too often they think it is only about looking pretty... I tell them that its work and that they have to keep practicing and expanding their repertoire... if they want to make it big. And they have to be on all the time!! I have yet to see a bad photo of Naomi or kate

    ReplyDelete